Re: [OM] Matt's Astrophotography Gallery

Subject: Re: [OM] Matt's Astrophotography Gallery
From: Sean Chan <Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 15:18:00 +0900
Matt,

> Please peruse the attached URL to my astrophotography gallery and send
> feedback. I'm aware
> of some problems in these images and their causes, but I'd still like to get
> more
> perspectives. For the record, I had zero astrophotography experience before
> January. I
> didn't own any of the equipment, even an SLR camera. Most of you on this list
> helped in
> some way, and I appreciate it. These pictures are rough but are an indication
> that I'm
> making progress. Please check back on the gallery every now and then; I
> intend to add more
> and better images to it over time.
>
> This message is being sent to a fairly wide list. I put y'all on the BCC
> line, in order to
> reduce risk of spam.
>
> Matt
> 781-674-5153 anytime
>
> http://www.mindspring.com/~kristi_stone/matt/gallery/astro/index.html

These are excellent photographs. You've done very well in a few months.
I've read up a lot about astrphotography but practical experience
"absolute zero". In fact in 1998 I got into Olympus gear (with the OM-1
first) primarily for astrophotography purposes but somehow diverged to
"terrestial photography". Thus now my OM gear has grown, but still no
single astrophoto yet :-(. Too late now as I've moved to Tokyo - city
of lights.

If I may make a comment (and ask some questions too)...Scorpius appears
you have a polar misalignment. I assume you were manually correcting
and/or guiding?? That's why the peripheral stars are "circular". But
you've done a pretty good job with the other nebulae.

In case you haven't already, do pick up Michael Covington's
Astrophotography books. They're absolutely invaluable. In fact Michael
used to be a member of this list (but I think he's no longer a member).

Keep up the good work,
Sean
--
Sean Chan         Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx       http://www.msdw.co.jp
EI/UNIX IT Dept.  +81 3 5424-4318 (W)        +81 3 5424-4399 (F)