Re: [OM] Depth of field questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Depth of field questions
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 09:04:37 -0700
Hi Frank:

You wrote:
> Are you saying that the slower ultra wides perform better
> at infinity? That would make sense - the f/2's for journalism
> and the slower ones for landscape. And where does "ultra"
> start - 24mm?

Ultra, in my sense here, starts at 28mm. I don't know that there is any
sort of information that says the wide angles are optimized for
infinity, although that is a safe assumption. Wide angles lenses show
marked deterioration of corner performance at close focusing distances,
thus the need for floating elements - whic Olympus restricted to the
faster models as a marketing strategy. In another words, don't give the
user something in the slower lens that they would get in the faster lens
and pay a premium for. We see that thought in most any range of product
models from a single manufacturer.

Gary Reese