Re: [OM] Other ultra-wides?

Subject: Re: [OM] Other ultra-wides?
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 08:37:57 -0500 (CDT)
Although this will do little to help you decide the issue, I have
owned and used the 16/3.5, 18/3.5,  21/3.5, 24/2.8, and 28/2.8. I
have gotten uniformly excellent results from each. I did sell the 18,
as I just couldn't justify a lens between eh 21 and the 16 (and the
funds helped me afford my 300/2.8), but it was a great performer.

As for eh 24 and 21 complementing a 28, it's a judgement call. Each
offers a unique enough perspective that I have no problem justifying
all three. I tend to think of the 28 as a wide-normal, the 24 as a
wide, and eh 21 as an ultra-wide.

If you HAVE to pick one, I suppose the 21 would get the nod for it's
extra coverage. I used mine last weekend shooting the prom for our
local school. The room was too dark to focus even with my 50/1.4 and
a 2 series screen, so I mounted eh 21, set it to hyper-focal, and
went to work on dance floor/crowd shots. Great results.

BB

On Mon, 8 May 2000 21:57:42 -0700, Mark Marr-Lyon wrote:

>Hello,
>
>With the recent talk about the 21/2, I was wondering what
>people think of it's slower little brother the 21/3.5.  I'm
>considering getting an ultra-wide sometime soon, and was
>trying to decide which one.  I have a 28/2.8 (and a 3.5, but
>its a little fungusy, if that's a word), so I was thinking
>that the 24 would be a little too close to that.  That leaves
>the 21 or the 18.
>
>The two uses I can think of right now for this lens are:
>I'm going on a week-long backpacking trip in the North Cascades
>in August, and was thinking an ultra wide would be nice for
>landscapes and the like.  I also could use one for some shots
>in some cramped quarters (like the inside of a plane).
>
>Is the extra 8 degrees of coverage and the little bit of extra
>weight worth spending a few hundred dollars more?  Which of these
>lenses, if you have both, is your favorite?
>
>Thanks,
>Mark Marr-Lyon.

-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel