Re: [OM] Spanner Wrench

Subject: Re: [OM] Spanner Wrench
From: johncw@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 10:14:40 -0600

Olaf wrote:

"...Before you attempt to do this, I would like to suggest you scan the
Olympus
archives of somewhere around April - June 1999 for a thread about cleaning
300/4.5. If my name pops up in it, you'll soon know why I recommended you
read that thread. :(
In other words, it's very _easy_ to damage the glass of the elements, and
it's very _difficult_ to keep dust out of the lens."

Volkhart - on the other hand I also decided to pick up two Zuiko lenses
(28mm and 35mm) that were in need of work (all I paid was the S&H for
them). Up to this point I have never opened a lens to see what was inside.
Offline, a "list" member warned me about what I was getting into but also
helped me out significantly. I picked up a "generic" spanner wrench at a
local electronics store. The wrench worked, but I am now looking for better
quality. I suggest you call around your area. They are to be found pretty
easily and inexpensively. I used denatured alcohol as the cleansing agent
and acetone is also acceptable. I have two rebuilt lenses in my collection.
I just finished shooting with them and it appears I was successful.

It looks like you are in the same situation as me. Lens essentially cost
nothing and you have a good chance of adding to your collection. Take your
time, especially on reassembly. Good luck.

(I am also looking for Zuiko lenses to add to my collection that need work.
Please contact me offline if you want to get rid of a bad but repairable
lens. I am not looking to make a career of this either so please send them
to Camtech if that's what your looking for)

John Cwiklinski