[OM] Re: Question about manual Olympus Options

Subject: [OM] Re: Question about manual Olympus Options
From: "Wiliam Wagenaar" <wiliam2@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 22:13:25 +0200
Cc: <system1@xxxxxxxx>
Giles forwarded the folowing message:

-----
I am a 23 year user of an OM1-MD that I bought in 1977.
<SNIP>
The bottom line is
why would one ever buy a OM-3 or an OM-4Ti when one has a good working
OM-1???  Thanks!!  ( What I am trying to say here, is can anyone give me a
good sales pitch as to why I should buy another Olympus camera? )
James (Jim) Patterson
-----
Well Jim,

I can think of some reasons to buy an automatic OM body, but it does depend
on what you shoot. If you work mainly on a tripod and do landscape for
example the advantages become less obvious. I also have a OM-1 which I
bought in 1977, but I added a OM-2n in 1979 and a used 4Ti a few months ago.

The main reasons I bought the OM-2n were:
1-TTL Auto for macro work
2-TTL auto with flash (T32, and another one, and a BGII added later)
3-TTL auto for long-time exposures
4-Faster working when OM-2n on auto
All the 4 reasons are still valid to me, however I must confess that I don't
use the long-time exposure that often. I use the auto setting of thes body
about 99.90f the time, but I do correct for over or under exposure. You
have to get accustomed to the specifics of the light meter in any camera. I
know for example that my OM-2n heavily underexposes when there is bright sky
in the viewfinder. More modern cameras will do a better job at auto-exposing
correctly in such situations. I have learned to live with it and am still
quite happy with my 21 year old body and I hardly ever use the OM-1 anymore,
although I like the smoothness of the shutter best.

I bought the OM4-Ti recently with the following reasons:
4-Multi-spot
5-Super FP flash
6- I wanted another auto body

Although I have only shot a few rolls of film yet, but I am comforable
working with this body. The spot-metering made it possible to shoot the moon
with my 300mm (and 2x and 3x TC in all possible combinations) The shots of
the moon came out surprisingly well. I exposed normal, +1 and -1. When I
view the slides now I think the -1 will give the best result. I will let the
list know when I have monted them and wiewed them on the projector.

I also like to work with the hilight and shadow controls.

Of course as allways Your Mileage Might Vary