[OM] bounce flash

Subject: [OM] bounce flash
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 13:53:53 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
While the T-32 is a nice flash and the dedicated features with the
appropriate OM body are desirable, it only has a vertical bounce
conveniently built in.
If you want to bounce off a wall without turning the camera, or bounce off
the ceiling with the camear turned to portrait, you will find it a bit
awkward. Also the T-32 places the flash near the lens so red-eye is a
problem. My advice is to get a taller flash (cheap, light, fragile) or use
the bounce grip (heavy, robust, expensive, faster recharges) or use the
T32 handheld with a T-cable back to the camera if you think you can handle
the camera with one hand (unlikely in some settings). The bounce grip puts
the flash far from the lens which is great when you can't bounce (too
great a distance or poor reflectivity).

You could always get a cheap bounce grip (non-Oly, noncharging, cold shoe
requiring cable directly to the flash) for occasional use. Maybe $10-20
used plus the cost of the cable. If you find you don't mind the bulk, then
you consider buying the overpriced, but otherwise lovely Olympus power
bounce grip.

I have just started using the power bounce grip with a T-20 and a T32 on
the camera hotshoe (this is the reverse of what other list members have
suggested). I don't have results from my first roll of this back yet, but
the reasoning is

1) not much heavier or more awkward that the bounce grip and one flash
which I was already using.
2) The T20 aims straight at the subject for direct flash with no red-eye
because of the distance from the lens (this is adjustable)
3) the T32 can be angled for bounce to complement the
direct flash and therefore its proximity to the lens is irrelevant
4) the T20 can be bounced in any direction as well while on the bounce
grip (although the flash is so weak that it will have minimal effect this
way).
5) The T20 has a great recharge rate when charged from the grip and
in a hurry I could fire the flash before the bouncing T32 has had a chance
to recharge.

Assuming I remain pleased with this, I may start experimenting with the
same setup and color filters on the T32.

Lastly, please use rechargeable batteries and don't throw any batteries in
the waste stream (i.e. garbage) as they can be quite toxic!

Good luck!

Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")
Professional home page: