[OM] Camera Bags

Subject: [OM] Camera Bags
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 02:07:16 PDT
Hi,

O.k., here's my take on the story:

I haven't purchased the Trekker yet, but it has tremendous appeal to me.

[...]

My new "walkabout" kit looks something like this:
Olympus XA loaded with B&W
OM-2S with winder loaded with Fuji Velvia or ProviaF
24/2.8
100/2.8 (with lens hood)
14 and 25mm extension tubes (non-auto)
Tissue and blower
Spare batteries
Spare film
Backpacking tripod (davis&sanford) modified to work as a shoulder stock and tripod
To this I might add one or more of the following depending on photo
possibilities:
OM-1md
35/shift
35-70/2.8
200/2.8

Did you already consider the Mini Trekker?
I bought that bag last year, and I think that it might suit you well too, so you wouldn't have to buy something as big as the Trekker (which I believe is substantially bigger).
Here's what I used to carry around in the Mini Trekker:
-OM-40 in the bottom of the bag.
-OM-4Ti + 35-70/4 (now 35-70/3.6, soon hopefully the 35-80/2.8) in the top of the bag.
-65-200/4 in between the OM-40 and the OM-4Ti + 35-70/4
-300/4.5 + 2xA in the left side of the bag
-24/2.8 + 50/3.5 Macro stacked in the first compartment in the right side of the bag
-35/2.8 Shift in the second compartment in the right side of the bag
-100/2 in the third compartment in the right side of the bag
-F280 (now maybe to be replaced/complemented by a T32 or T20) on top of the 65-200/4 (with one or two of the compartment creation pads as protection between the lens and the flash(es)) in the middle of the bag
-Spare film (6 rolls easily) to the side of the OM-40
-Spare batteries can go anywhere
-TTL cables on top of the OM-4Ti + 35-70/4 combo
-Several filters, a cable release and other small stuff in the waterproof compartment on the inside of the lid of the bag -More spare film (up to 20 rolls with great ease) in the outer compartment of the bag
-Tripod hanging on the bottom of the bag

This is actually basically my "transport bag" for when I'm going on a trip, nonetheless you can put all of this in your bag and the weight is still acceptable (I've caried such a bag all over Paris for several days, so it is actually do-able, although not "extremely convenient").

For me the biggest issue when the bag is stuffed to these extremes, is that things become a little bit difficult to access quickly, so a lighter/less-dense configuration is desired for when actually taking pictures, so stuff like the 300/4.5 + 2xA can easily be left out most of the time (to be left in the hotel for example), as well as the spare body. This then yields a lot of space to distribute the other items in such a way that they're much quicker accessible, and also it significantly reduces the weight of the bag.

Matters have changed now for me, as I've "pulled a few Tom Scales", so I now have about twice the amount of gear as indicated above (too much to bring it all), so when I'm going on my next long trip I have to re-think the strategy. Here's what I'm thinking of for when going e.g. to a far away country:
-OM-4Ti + 35-80/2.8 (!!!)
-OM-2n + 35/2.8 Shift (the OM-2n will then have the 1-10 screen in it)
-65-200/4
-100/2 (!!!)
-28/2 (!!!)
-24/2.8
-T32 (!!!)
-T20
-Medium weight tripod
-Spare film
-Some filters
-Spare batteries
-Cable release
(the items markes as (!!!) will definitely come along, the others (not including stuff like spare film) can be varied a bit).

I think I will be a far happier man when I re-strict myself this way. All the other stuff like the bellows, the 300mm etc. can stay home and will only get used on special occassions. Items to be considered for carrying could be the 135/2.8 + 2xA and then maybe leaving the 65-200/4 at home too. Also, the 50/3.5 is to be considered plus a set of ext. tubes or so, but I hardly ever take macro pics...

Furthermore, when I left my previous employer, my ex-colleagues gave me a small shoulder bag as a bye-bye present. This one is really convenient too, and can nicely be used to carry a light configuration (like all of the items marked above as (!!!) plus some spare film), so I really like to "go light" again. I'm thinking of using the Mini Trekker especially as a transportation bag, or as a generic back pack, containing some camera gear, as well as some other stuff. Then if I don't feel like bringing the Mini Trekker for the actual shooting, the small bag would do the honours just fine...

Moral of the story: I guess getting a big bag also results in bringing more stuff which is hardly ever needed. I for one, am doing my best to get back to just travelling light on the longer trips and to accept the fact that I may miss one or two shots where a macro lens or the 300mm would have been nice. I think in the end this will be for the better for me, as I then don't have to ponder about what lens _best_ to use for which occassion, and instead I can start thinking about the composition again. All the other toys, ehhhh "tools" ;) will then be used for special types of photography at home...

Cheers!
Olafo