Re: [OM] OT: Contax Rangefinders

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Contax Rangefinders
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 22:39:07 +0100
Barry Hinderks wrote:

>...I have an opportunity to acquire a Contax 111, sonnar
>50/2 and 135/4 and would like some advice...

I had one of these and missed it when it had gone. It's pre-war and the
lenses will probably be uncoated so lens hoods (42mm push on) are essential.
Lens quality was superb but of low contrast by modern standards. The shutter
blinds consist of brass strips held together by silk strands so their
condition is something to be checked. Peephole viewfinder may be difficult
if you're a glasses wearer; the rangefinder is probably the best in any
camera. Their "collectible" status often makes them overpriced but you may
have got lucky...

Regards,
Keith Berry
(Birmingham, England)