[OM] How to get a 2-13 screen without waiting out the back-order

Subject: [OM] How to get a 2-13 screen without waiting out the back-order
From: Steven_Read@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 21:57:01 -0400

Buy an OM-3Ti!

I finally did it, my small bit to keep Olympus in the SLR business, I bought a
new 3Ti and 50/2.  And having been influenced by Denton's macro shots, I bought
a T8 as well - back-ordered :-(

Surprises, things I knew but didn't "know".  The titanium isn't black, it's dark
grey, not the black of a 4Ti and definitely not the light grey/chrome of my 4T.
(and where did those other shades of chrome 4T come from - bronzish, reddish or
have I been imagining things?)  There's no self-timer and no self timer switch.
I've gotten used to having something there.  And, oh my!, the 2-13 is brighter.

Surprises, OM-4T to 3Ti.  No quarter inch Manual/Auto/Battery Check switch -
Separate tiny TTL Auto Flash/X switch and push button Battery Check on prism
left.    On prism right there's no little red LED just in front of the spot
button, instead it says CLEAR with an arrow - and no "memory".  Makes sense of
course... now, after RTFMing.  Actually I'd never noticed the 4Ts LED before.

I hadn't really noticed it with the 4T, but with either, I can't see both the
meter and the full focusing screen while wearing my glasses.  With the 4T I
mostly shot in auto, using the spot metering and glancing down occasionally to
make sure that the shutter speed would be acceptable.  With the 3Ti... well
let's just say that I got here by realizing that I hadn't checked the metering
on a shot.  With glasses on I have the choice of composing the frame or seeing
the meter and 2/3rds the screen.  I literally didn't see the meter while
composing.  I can see the entire display if I attach an eyecup 1 (-5) and take
off my glasses, but this isn't exactly ideal.  Playing with this caused me to
dig out my OM-1n** to compare displays.  Which led to...

Surprises, things I thought worked but didn't.  I was expecting the 3Ti metering
(use spot) to work fine with the 8mm versus the trouble one has with the 1n or
2n on manual (can't see the darned meter).  Sort of new camera/old lens.  But...
while I could see and read the meter, it was way off.  The OM-SIF (thank you
Hans) notes, under 8mm/Fisheye, that "The aperture diaphragm does not couple to
the exposure meter."  To which I said "Hunh?" but indeed, when I looked no
coupling. I would have thought that it would still work, just that the metering
would have been based on 1:2,8 - it clearly doesn't though.   Auto-diaphragm,
but no f-stop tab... makes no sense to me, except that when originally released
the only way to effectively meter was OM-2/2n auto mode.  Am I missing something
or is it as simple as that?

Resignedly digging my Sekonic Studio Deluxe meter back out,

-Steve

**My original body, bought mid-1978 was a black OM-1, it's meter died so in 1981
I bought a black 1n from B&H to replace it - because the local repair shop said
it wasn't practical to repair the 1's meter.  I shot with this 1n as my only
body until 3 years ago when I got the Zuikoholic bug.  Comparing the two, it
amazes me that the 1n used for 18 years is almost as clean as the new OM-3Ti
while the 1 which I shot for only 2 years looks far more worn, brassing, base
plate scratches etc.  Oh, and it's been repaired and works fine now.