Re: film cleaning fluids, was Re: [OM] fungus on slides - E6 vs kodachro

Subject: Re: film cleaning fluids, was Re: [OM] fungus on slides - E6 vs kodachrome [longish]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 08:15:22 -0700
if you have a chemical
name for PEC-12 then I can probably get some.

The bottle doesn't identify any ingredients, but they do warn that blindness may result from imbibing, so maybe it has some methyl alcohol

But if it is the same as
kodak film cleaning fluid (which is 1,1,1-trichloroethane)...

I don't think it's TCE, which has been banned in the US. I've also tried the Kodak-branded stuff -- PEC-12 is better.

it
dissolves a number of different sorts of plastic slide mount, not to
mention the glue that is often used in the mounts.

I've never had a problem with PEC-12 melting plastic slide mounts. The biggest problem with slides is getting the stuff you just cleaned off the center out of the corners, where it collects.

I was often left with drying marks or streaks.

PEC-12 will leave whitish streaks if you use too much of it, but they come off with additional cleanings.

it was time consuming.

Most things that are worth-while are! (I'd better give up photography -- it's too time consuming. :-)

Salvaging a badly damaged slide is going to take some effort, no matter what you use. I do think that PEC-12, USED PROPERLY, will almost always do better than breathing on a slide.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>