Re: [OM] New Archives Search engine

Subject: Re: [OM] New Archives Search engine
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 22:06:12 -0700
On 14 May 2000, at 10:42, bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> At 08:41 AM 5/14/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >Can you give me some examples of what you tried? I just tried
> >"benbo trekker" and got 6 hits in about 10 seconds, but when I tried
> >"zuiko fast wide angle" it took several minutes with no hits. Clearly
> >some more testing is required....
> >
> Hi Shawn,
>
> Tried Zuiko 300mm, when that didn't work tried just 300mm, when that didn't
> work tried Contax (searrching for refs from John Lind, when that didn't
> work I tried 35RC, when that didn't work I gave up. Left the search going
> for up to 4 minutes on some of them at least 1-2 min on others-- never did
> get a response.

That is strange - the longest I've seen is about 3 minutes. Possibly you hit a
bad time when others were also trying it. A single search consumes 50-70%
of the CPU for the duration, so times will quickly exceed several minutes
under heavy load. I'm going to see what I can do about improving the speed
of searching, because there are many things I like about this search engine,
mainly its *much* faster indexing speed. (about 2hrs vs 48hrs for 20k
messages).

I'll let you know if I can improve the speed; in the meantime, please feel free
to let me know what you think.

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright