Re: [OM] digital vs. film (Acer Scanwit added) - more notes - OT

Subject: Re: [OM] digital vs. film (Acer Scanwit added) - more notes - OT
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 17:12:10 +0200
Yo,

on Mon, 15 May 2000 06:36:58 -0400, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>The unit hasn't been sent yet but there is no way for me to cancel the
>sale and merchandise is not returnable unless DOA.  Any advice on what
>to watch for?  My machine does not contain any SCSI devices so there
>should be no conflicts with the included SCSI card (whatever it is).
>I'll keep y'all posted.

I don't think you need to worry. The only problem I had with mine was that
the only available IRQ on my system was IRQ4, and I could not convince any
of my PCI cards (including the SCSI card that came with the ScanWit) to use
it. It works just fine with my existing (ISA) SCSI card - which came with my
Mustek 1200 SP - since I found a driver for this card on the net (the Mustek
normally addresses it without a special driver). The only disadvantage is
that now after switching the Mustek on I have to reboot for the system to
recognize it. The original software that came with the ScanWit will
initialize it without the need for rebooting, but in order for Vuescan to
work with it it needs to either be initialized by rebooting with the Scanner
being on or by once starting (and exiting) the original software before
starting Vuescan. Also, it seems that when you switch off either scanner
after using it the system keeps looking for it which will slow it down to
the point that you sometimes think it has crashed. A reboot fixes this (or I
just leave the scanner(s) on until I shut the system down anyway). I can
live very well with this solution, and I think the ScanWit is great -
comparable performance to the 2700 dpi Canon and Nikon Models, at half the
price.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--