Re: [OM] Re: 2x Teleconverter

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 2x Teleconverter
From: johncw@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 12:10:02 -0600

Barry Bean wrote:

>2x convertors have their place. I use one several times a year with
>my long primes to get shots I couldn't otherwise get.

>However, uning a 2x with a zoom lens is a borderline proposition at
>best. That's a lot of glas to put your image through, and I'd expect
>to see some substantial loss of image quality.

>Of course, if the alternative is not getting the image at all, then
>the tradeoff might be worth it."

I agree with Barry's assessment.
I have a 1.5x 3 element (Soligor) and a 2x 7 element (Vivitar). I bought
these through B&HPhoto (used) and they are not matched multipliers. You can
buy them cheap on eBay or elsewhere for under $30.00. For these prices, you
can experiment with them. For my case(s), they have been a good buy. I have
tried the 1.5x and 2x on a 28-70 Vivitar Series 1 zoom with mixed results.
There was some loss of image quality using the 2x towards the higher end.

That's my $0.02

John Cwiklinski

John Cwiklinski