[OM] Reporting from the frontline: "warzone Enschede"...

Subject: [OM] Reporting from the frontline: "warzone Enschede"...
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 02:06:32 PDT
Hi guys,

First of all, thanks a lot for your reactions!

Secondly, each day the magnitude of the disaster becomes more and more clear. We were really lucky not to have suffered any damages.

Some additional details:
1-I forgot to mention the amount of fireworks that were present in the storage bunkers: it was 100 tons (IOW: 100,000 KGs)! 2-Giles pointed me out to a linguistic error of mine: the storage space was not located in a _rural_ area, but an _urban_ one. IOW: it was located right in an area surrounded by houses, schools, shops... 3-The official figures about the casualties so far are very conservative: in some reports they speak of 20 confirmed casualties, and in others they speak of 15 confirmed casualties. However... There are still 200 people missing (even now), so soon I expect the number of casualties to go much higher... 4-The statistics in brief: confirmed casualties: 15-20, wounded: 600+, on intensive care: 11, missing: 200, houses completely annihilated: 400, houses severely damaged (some beyond repair): 1000-2000.

O.k., I will report further when more becomes known, maybe this will not be until next Monday or so when I hope to have a site about the disaster...

C-ya!
Olafo