Re: [OM] Spanner Wrench

Subject: Re: [OM] Spanner Wrench
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 07:57:06 -0400
In the recent discussion of spanner wrenches someone mentioned those
sold by Micro Tools in Vacaville, California. (www.micro-tools.com).  I
wish I had bought the more sophisticated set with interchangeable tips
but instead I purchased the "economy" set of three at $35.  They are
actually quite nice tools for the price but the size of them is probably
more suited to working on your car's transmission than a 35mm camera
lens.  Just kidding about the transmission but the tips are rather large
and will probably require filing down to fit the daintier rings and
holes of your 35mm equipment.

In Thomas Tomosy's books on camera repair he recommends making your own
from pliers and other tools and heating, bending and filing as
necessary... basically, building a specific tool as you need it.  I have
a set of old machinist's dividers which work for some things.  One of
these days I intend to go out on a Saturday morning to look for
suitable, rebuildable tools in the yard sales.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA