Re: [OM] Spanner Wrench

Subject: Re: [OM] Spanner Wrench
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 15:36:11 +0100
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>...I have
>a set of old machinist's dividers which work for some things...

I've used a pair of school-type dividers gripped close to the points by a
Mini-Mole wrench to remove and refit both the shutter speed dial and the
delayed action lever on my Olympus 35RC camera - if you try it yourself note
that the latter only is a left-hand thread so don't mix them up.

Am I right in thinking that the spanner wrench under discussion is for
loosening the ring with two horizontally opposed notches that surrounds the
front element? If so, has anyone considered using an old credit card cut to
the right diameter and then a curve cut out of it to clear the front
element? Hold tightly (enough) in the slots and rotate the lens barrel and
not the card. Being plastic, it's less likely to cause damage if it slips,
and you could cut a disk of cling plastic the size of the front element to
protect it a bit more.

Just a thought,
Keith Berry
(Birmingham, England)