Re: [OM] What an OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] What an OM-1
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 22:39:50 -0400
Tom Scales wrote:

> This is an interesting OM-1.  I would hope it is solid gold, given his
> asking price.

It's plated.  Maybe in the former East Bloc, like quite a few cameras
these days.  Most are fake Leicas, which are now plentiful enough to be
sold for the novelty value.  I don't think this is an Olympus plating
job.  First of all, a reference to such an edition would have popped up
on this list. Secondly, although the seller claims there's no "special
box", I can't believe Olympus would make this camera without some kind
of special case or documentation--like the gold Rollei 35.

Gold plating is not that expensive.  Most of the cost is in preparing
the parts, which have to be cleaned and de-chromed.  Sometimes there's
nickel already underneath, but usually the parts have to get dunked for
nickel first, then the gold.  At work, I use a plating company in
Providence, R.I. (Where most US plating is done) for plating logos and
cut-out letters.  I've never asked my contact there about plating camera
parts, but maybe I should at these prices.

Morgan Sparks