RE: [OM] Kodak Color Compensating Filters

Subject: RE: [OM] Kodak Color Compensating Filters
From: "Windrim, Brian" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 10:10:34 +0100
Cc: "'erwin.voogt@xxxxxx'" <erwin.voogt@xxxxxx>
Hi Erwin,

you wrote:

>> I'm planning to make slide duplicates using the Kodak Ektachrome SO-366
>> duplicating film. However, the manual of the film says I need the "color
>> compansating filters" 10C, 10M and 80Y. A new role of SO-366 will
probably
>> need a different filter combination. Unfortunately the filters are quite
>> difficult to get and moreover not very cheap (about $20 each).
>> So my question is, how necessary are these filters? Is the colour balance
>> between individual SO-366 roles very different?
>> I want to make duplicaties mainly of kodachrome slides, using a T32 as
light
>> source. (Futhermore I have all the necessary macro stuff.)
>> I have no experience with slideduplication, so all information is
wellcome.

IIRC, from my brief flirtation with Ciba printing, the important thing is
the
*difference* between the recommended filter values for a given film batch
and
that of the batch you do your initial testing with.

Your working filtration will probably be different from the recommendation,
but
once you have established it by testing, you should be able to just
factor-in
the differences for a new batch without having to re-test from scratch
(YMMV).

Tim's suggestion of using Cibachrome (or similar) printing filters is a good
one,
there must have been a great many such filter sets sold for colour printing
on
mono enlargers and they should be a lot cheaper than the Kodak gels.

As with enlarging, if the filters are used between the light source and the
film
then their optical quality isn't an issue.

-Brian