Re: [OM] Tamron

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 19:45:18 +1000
Rikard wrote

> Hi, I wonder if someone has tried the Tamron SP 90/2.5 Macro.
> Is it a good lens?

Yes, I have the one with the 55mm filter thread.

Optically, it's good, although I rarely shoot wider than f/8
(Gary's test shows it's not great wide open; this is more a
macro than a portrait lens).

I'm less impressed by the build quality
    - circumferential lash in the focussing action, very annoying
        - I had a mount break on me. I suspect the previous owner of
        the mount attached it wrongly.
        - the plastic apron that has the clear focussing scale window
        scratches easily and looks like it's developing stress cracks.

The hood that comes with it is huge. It's impossible to use with a
circular polarizer or close up, and is more for show than use. The
front element is well recessed, so I use a cheap folding rubber hood.

The biggest beef I have with it is, as usual, the ergonomics.
Tamron's rework of the DOF lever is very hard to operate with
the usual left finger (sometimes 6 tries are needed), and the
aperture click stops are inconsistent.