[OM] Re: How many exposures?

Subject: [OM] Re: How many exposures?
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 16:13:28 -0400
34,35,36,37...40? I see folks debating the merits of how far to try to
stretch their film.
I recently learned a neat trick that is probably old news to many, but I
thought I'd pass it along.
I only shoot 35 frames out of each roll of 36 (37). That way I can cut the
negs into 5 frame runs and keep them in a notebook with 7 row neg
protection sheets. That keeps the negs. neat and easy to store without the
hassle of getting an oversize binder to hold the larger 6 rows of 6 frames.
But more importantly it means that one can make a contact sheet of the
whole roll on 8x10 paper without ever going through the hassle of trying to
take them out of the protector sheet and align them just so in the
darkroom. There may be a very slight loss of image quality by leaving the
negs in the plastic, but it's very slight unless the plastic is scratched
or crumpled, and in any event it's good enough for the purpose of a contact
sheet to simply determine which negs actually merit fullsize printing.

The other benefit to OM users, is that by wasting the first frame that
means that there've been 4 chances (3 start positions and #1) to watch the
rewind crank when advancing to insure proper film take up.

Mike Swaim