Re: [OM] Re: Q: Zuiko 75-150/4 and 24/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Q: Zuiko 75-150/4 and 24/2.8
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 08:36:38 -0500
At 07:49 PM 5/18/2000 -0400, you wrote:

> [...]

Hi Pawel,

Not a dumb question at all, as I think the problem is somewhat difficult to
detect.  Gary Reese provided a good description several months ago, and
perhaps he'll weigh in again.  Apparently you must look specifically for
element separation (i.e., it's not like a crack in the lens) and the signs
are perhaps something that looks like a small bubble or a slight opacity.
Its effect would cause loss of contrast and resolution. When people
complain about this lens being flat or having a lot of flare, I suspect
element separation.  The lens is plenty contrasty when it's in good shape,
though I don't think there were ever any MC examples.  I shot my first
ADITL shot with it:

http://www.whitneygallery.com/olympus/html/aditl1_12.html

I don't recall that there are any other shots that have been made for these
OM list events using this lens.  It gets dissed at lot by OM users
themselves, and partly rightly so.  It is not my favorite lens or anything,
but its size, range, and two-touch design almost scream "OM."

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA