Re: [OM] Cap for Zuiko 8mm?

Subject: Re: [OM] Cap for Zuiko 8mm?
From: Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 18:12:27 +0900 (JST)
Cc: John Hermanson <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
> OOPS! This was supposed to be private to John Hermanson.
>
> Now that you all know what I'm up to, please don't jump the gun on
> this unless you REALLY want this lens, like I do! :-)
>
> >Hi John. I'm talking to Sean Chan about the 8mm fisheye he found.
> >However, it doesn't have a cap. Are these still available? Can you
> >give me a delivered price to West Linn, Oregon, 97068?
> >
> >Thanks!

Jan, I just got back. OK here's the story. They've got 2xZuiko 8mm F2.8's
one going for Yen 83,000 and the other at was under Yen 95,000 (sorry, I
couldn't remember the price).

1) Yen 83,000
Seems to be optically excellent - can't see any scratches on the
lens. Looks clean inside (although hard to tell since the aperture
of this sucker is small but from what I can tell, it looks ok). The
body is almost perfect. there is a 1-2mm dent (line). The's probably
about 3 paint chips on it, but the rest of the black painted body
seriously looks as new. Put it this way, I'd call it in excellent
condition but I then again, you haven't seen the rest of my lenses.

2) < Yen 95,000
I didn't see this but from the window it looked as good except it's
got a cover. I was going to make guesses but will hold back on that.

When I first put the 8mm F2.8 on my OM-4Ti, I was wondering - "Hey, it's
spoilt!! My meter doesn't work regardless of whatever aperture I set!!".
I even cranked up my ISO to make sure I wasn't going crazy. Then I
realised that this thing is a a stop down only metering (for the first
time in my life, I know what this means) - the wasn't any aperture lever
(at least that's what I think it is - that other thing that sticks out on
the back end of the lens).

This thing also has built-in 3 filters - Normal, Red and something else.
Sorry, I really wasn't paying much attention to that part. I was busy
looking for dings and metering, etc.

I also took one shot with this lens in the shop. Focusing this isn't
easy man. Everything is small and distant that you really have to
concentrate on focusing. Now I know how medium format rangefinders with
telephoto lenses feel when they focus - you have to really look carefully.

I have to admit, even though I have the money I wouldn't buy one as I
can't think of the application (for myself) - you guys/gals are quite
artistic so you'd probably have much better use for such a lens.

Sean
--
Sean Chan         Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx       http://www.msdw.co.jp
EI/UNIX IT Dept.  +81 3 5424-4318 (W)        +81 3 5424-4399 (F)