[OM] Re: Australian scenery [long, mostly OT]

Subject: [OM] Re: Australian scenery [long, mostly OT]
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 00:12:00 +1000
Dylan wrote

> My other wettest walk was the Milford track in NZ

We had perfect weather. The rangers made sure no-one backtracked,
which made getting the right lighting for all viewpoints impossible.
There was a German who took a guitar, but fortunately he couldn't play
it.

We saw a lot of wildlife, but my 70-210 zoom was too short.
Not needing to carry a tent, fuel, or as much spare
clothing, next time I would take the 300 f/4.5 or a 500 f/8.

> the average annual rainfall is more than 12000mm (about 10 times
> what Melbourne or Sydney get).

Sydney 1140mm, Melbourne 657mm. To rework a line from Camelot, by decree
the rain here falls only in winter and then exactly four days a week.
Suffer!

> Oh, make sure you take a tent and avoid the fate of the unfortunate (and
> stupid) snowboarders last year.

I've spent perhaps a dozen nights snow camping in my Macpac
Olympus (would you believe) tent. I find that the second and
subsequent nights start out colder because the tent is still
wet and conducts heat. Since I can ski much faster with a day
pack, I tend to avoid snow camping, though I would prefer to
be carrying a tent anywhere exposed like Feathertop. I can't
see the sense in snowboards for touring, since as I understand
it you can't skate or stride uphill.

No way am I skiing with a tripod and risking falling backwards
onto it. So I'll probably use Elitechrome 200 and try the trick
with the two ski poles (I need deep focus).

> I've heard lots of good things about the Prom

Be sure to book any overnight campsites before you leave home.

> haven't been to the desert either

The Big Desert is technically semi-arid. There are trees -
but the river redgums can never reproduce because the Wimmera
river has been diverted. The salt pans should be flooded now but I
bet they aren't.

The real Outback is, to me, not worth the price being asked
for airfares, 4WD hire and park entry fees. Much is in SA,
but if you visit the NT you support with an 8% bed tax a
government which jails 15 year old tribal islanders for stealing
cookies and colouring pens.