Re: [OM] Obvious

Subject: Re: [OM] Obvious
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 09:57:19 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 23 May 2000, John Palmer wrote:

> A few weeks ago some kind soul (sorry, I've forgotten who it was)
> posted a really simple suggestion to the list to solve a common
> problem. Problem - drying marks on home developed film. Solution - use
> distilled or de-ionised water for final washing.
>
> The water here in Southern England is chalky so it tastes nice but is
> terrible for drying marks so I tried this simple suggestion. And hey
> presto - it works a treat. So thanks muchly to whoever made the
> original post pointing out something that should have been obvious.

You'd think it would be even more obvious to a chemistry undergrad, but
do they ever think of using the stuff for cleaning glassware?...
mutter... specks all over my nice clean conical flasks... mutter,
mutter.

 Regarding storing concentrates - anyone know if pharmacies can get hold
of disposable plastic syringes in large sizes, say 250ml?  that would be
ideal - you could seal the end with a rubber cap (easily made from
self-amalgamating tape) or glue and squeeze out as much as you need
without ever introducing any air.  Never tried looking myself, as I have
access to an argon line here at work.  Argon being more dense than air
settles on top of the liquid.  Even after you've poured some out and
introduced some air, the argon still settles on top of the liquid
keeping the oxygen out almost entirely.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |