Re: [OM] Keeping developer chemicals fresh

Subject: Re: [OM] Keeping developer chemicals fresh
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:08:33 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Garth Wood wrote:

> An alternative to this is to use a product called by various names,
> but which is essentially nitrogen gas in a spray-can.

That would work, too, as would the now unobtainable cans of freon sold
as dust-blowers.  They now use nitrous oxide, I believe which would not
work at all.  Argon (see my other post on this subject) is even better
if you can get hold of some, since it is more dense than air whereas
nitrogen is very slightly less dense.

Wait a minute though, butane is also more dense than air and readily
available for the purpose of filling cigarette lighters and shouldn't
oxidise developer either.  Be careful with sparks though!

>  I've seen it sold in wine shops as a solution to wine oxidation once
> a bottle is opened

Which reminds me, another good storage method for larger quantities of
made-up developer is an empty "wine box".  These are basically a strong
plastic bag inside a cardboard box.  As the bag empties, it collapses
rather that filling up with air, thus preventing wine oxidation.  So one
could get a few cheap wine boxes from the supermarket (apologies to any
connoisseurs on the list), throw a party and remember to keep the
empties for your developers.  Oh yes, and make sure you re-label them
very clearly.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |