Re: [OM] PROVIA PROCESSING

Subject: Re: [OM] PROVIA PROCESSING
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:17:32 -0700
In a message dated 5/23/2000 DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx asks:

<< What is the concensus on the best processing labs and process for
Provia
film?  Am I correct that the C-41 process for most color negative film
is not
too successful with Provia? >>

Provia is a standard E6 slide film process. I get my Provia processed by
a local photo lab chain that is both a consumer and professional lab
(Bay Photo Lab for those near the Monterey Bay, California area). They
offer 2 hour service on E6 Monday - Saturday if I take it straight to
the location where the E6 is processed. So long as the lab uses high
quality equipment and doesn't make many mistakes, you should be fine
with any local E6 lab. AFAIK, Provia requires no special processing
beyond standard E6. That said, a few years ago I made the mistake of
dropping off both some E6 and C41 at the same time at one of the
consumer lab store branches of this company and they accidently ran my
E6 film through the C41 processor. I got back some really
uh...interesting...negatives as a result. Ever since then, when dropping
film off at the conveniently located consumer branches, I make things
very clear to the counter staff that the film is E6, _not_ C41.

I have shot three events so far this season with the new Provia F and
really like it a lot, highly recommended. HTH

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
www.motorsportvisions.com