[OM] Re: Vivitar 5200

Subject: [OM] Re: Vivitar 5200
From: "Tom Trottier" <TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 21:28:38 -0400
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 2000 May 23 - Tuesday 4:01, Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
spoke about *Re: Vivitar 5200...* saying
> Best of all, the "analog" scale gives you the ambient light reading
> even when the flash is "ready" which allows you to quickly dial in a
> ratio. (1/30, 1/15, 1/8).  I've never come across anything else in
> Nikon, Canon, Mamiya, Contax, etc., that comes even close.

Very convenient!
> Next year, when I shoot this event again, I hope to have a couple
> radio slaved strobes and a radio slaved camera tripod mounted in the
> balcony. This way I can shoot two cameras simultaneously while being
> on the floor down front.

Why radio? Light slaves are pretty sensitive these days. Might mess
up other flash photographers, tho...

One item I've run across is a remote wireless TTL slave trigger! When
it detects the master flash dying, it quenches the attached flash
gun. Unfortunately, only 2 models, 1 for Nikon flashes, 1 for Canon
flashes. Master flash doesn't matter.

See  http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/lite_link.html

Maybe Ikelite would make a model that works with other TTL flashes.
My Vivitar 550FD works TTL with Minolta, Pentax and Olympus via a
flash foot with an array of 7 contacts! Why not a corresponding
Ikelite shoe? Surely the total of M, P & O users would outnumber at
least Canon users.

If the electronics could correspond, perhaps an adaptor foot that
interchanges connection positions could work to convert one kind of
flash connection to one of the others. Does anyone know of such an
adaptor foot?

Tom