Re: [OM] OM Leather Fetish, and other Oddities

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Leather Fetish, and other Oddities
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 16:20:29 +0200
Gary Schloss schrieb:

> This led me to believe that some
> of the list members may have never seen an M-1.  For those of you who
> must fill this gap in their Olympus 101 coursework -- pls take a peek
> at the following:

An alternative M-1 page is at:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~rt4n-mekw/index_e.htm

There you can even _hear_ an M-1!

>  Well, recently I picked
> up an early silver nose Zuiko 100/2.8, serial no. 1040xx.  Surprise,
> surprise: it has _slotted_ screws.  (Exciting, huh?  I told you so.)

And did you ever see an OM-1 with slotted screws in the lens mount? I
have, exciting indeed. ;-)

> Well, clearly I thought so, but apparently I was
> wrong: some early OM lens batches were either made for Olympus by someone
> else, or were manufactured way, way before the OM bodies were ready.
> So, does anyone else have early OM Zuikos with slottes screws?

I have seen an 55mm/1.2 with such screws (and some other types I don´t
remember).

The lenses and cameras I have seen were old (OM-1 and SC) but not
realy old (M-System).

> My final point of reference was my earliest Zuiko, a maaahvelous 85/f2
> with a serial no. 100449 -- my only lens from a first production batch
> (under 500!!).  Well, guess what -- it has Phillips screws!

Maybe there was once, like the steel crisis, an "Philps screw crisis"
and Olympus had to revert to old style slotted screws. ;-)

Maybe it was a bad move not to buy those "slotted" Olympus stuff, in
the future they might gain a fortune on eBay.
Attention Olympus collectors, there is a new category for collecting,
sloted screw equipment!
;-)

Regards

Richard