[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1651

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1651
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <o9938156@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:04:56 -0700
>> What you want is sulfur hexafluoride :)  This stuff is real "molasses
>> gas".
>> It's about 5 times as dense as air, and it takes other stuff forever to
>> diffuse through it.  It's also completely non-toxic (well, other than it's
>> not oxygen, so you could suffocate in it).  OTOH, I do remeber the small
>> lecture bottle of it we got at our lab to be kinda pricey...
>
>We use this in the electricity industry. Very toxic if you get it to break
>down. Very much heavier than air. Indoor sites must have oxygen detectors
>below the floor. US EPA hates the stuff.
>
>Foxy

My suggestion was at least in part tongue-in-cheek.  Perhaps it would work
ok for preserving developer chemicals, but I seem to remember our small
bottle plus the necessary regulator cost well over US$500, which would buy
quite a lot of replacement developer.  I do agree that if you can get it
to break down, it's quite nasty, but I think it's pretty hard to do so.
Of course if you're using it as a dielectric or something, and there is
arcing, that would probably do it, right?  I just checked the MSDS, and
yep, arcing can cause it to break down, but otherwise it looks pretty
safe at normal temperatures.  Anyway, if someone actually wants to use
this for preserving developer chemicals, I'd suggest doing thorough
research to make sure it's safe.

Mark Marr-Lyon