Re: [OM] New T 45 battery?

Subject: Re: [OM] New T 45 battery?
From: Frank van Lindert <franklin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 16:04:17 +0200
On Sat, 27 May 2000 18:06:14 -0500, "Paul D. Farrar"
<farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>At 09:49 AM 5/26/00 +0200, Frank wrote:
>>I have rebuilt several packs with NiMH cells (BTW the last time taken
>>from redundant new phone batteries, with the solder tabs already
>>present).
>>Capacity is at least double of what the original NiCads had (1200-1500
>>mAh vs. 500-700 mAh).
>>I use a smart charger of the phone type the batteries were intended
>>for to charge the battery, of course also one stack at a time like
>>Paul does.
>
>Is there some trick I don't see to opening the pack. I see the screws at the
>top
>and the clips on the bottom, but it still doesn't come apart. Maybe mine was
>superglued together.

Not superglued, but glued or maybe hot-welded indeed they are, Paul.
The first time you rebuild a pack you will have to use your scalpel to
cut it open along the full length of the seams.
When reassembling, you can use a length of strong but thin tape
instead of the glue, although the clips and the screws probably will
hold the thing together. Or reglue it, of course...

BTW, this thread made me finally open the charger and modify it. For
the time being I am using a manual rotary switch to connect the stacks
to the phone charger one by one. I used an old 12-position switch, of
which I used connectors 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10. The odd positions 3, 5, 7
and 9 are nice to stop the charging temporarily and remember at which
point you did. If the switch will be in position 11, 12 or 1 I know
that the last cycle had been finished completely. My memory isn't too
good...
I had to drill a rather large hole for the switch in the front of the
charger housing, and a smaller one for an RCA jack in the back to
connect the phone charger to.
Reason to keep the phone charger outside the housing is, that now I
can also use the discharge feature of the phone charger for the T-45
battery stacks, which is especially useful for proper maintenance of
the older NiCd batteries. And I could use the RCA jack to take current
from the battery for other purposes too, if I might wish so.

Good luck with your rebuilding of the battery!

 Frank.