RE: [OM] photographing polished metal- HELP!

Subject: RE: [OM] photographing polished metal- HELP!
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 18:25:52 +0100
Following a discussion of metallic materials not affecting
polarisation, Wayne writes:

> So what is the benefit of using crossed polarisers on flash
> and lens when photographing a metallic surface ?

Hmm. Good question. If the polarisers were 100 0.000000e+00ffective I suppose no
light from the flash would get into the lens.

Perhaps it reduces specular reflections of the flash tube itself?

Come to think of it, what use is it for non-metallic subjects? I
thought I understood this until I thought about it!

Yours, confused,
John