Re: [OM] The MC vs SC Non-Contradiction (was: OM Oddities)

Subject: Re: [OM] The MC vs SC Non-Contradiction (was: OM Oddities)
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 12:01:19 -0700
Wayne Harridge wrote:

>Gary Schloss wrote about some contradictory examples in the Zuiko lens line.
>
>> we all remember the rules: (1) if a prime lens engraving
>> has a capital letter in front of the "Zuiko", as in E.Zuiko,
>> G.Zuiko, etc., then the lens is SC.  (2) if OTOH a prime lens has an
>> "MC" marking, or no "MC" markings  but also no letters in front of
>> "Zuiko", then the lens is MC.
>
>I have a 35mm f2, with silver nose, marked "ZUIKO MC" (it has green
>reflections from the glass), S/N 1135XX.  Is this another exception to
>our "rules" ?

Nope, it is not an exception.  Since the lens is labelled "MC", it is.
The anomalous part here is the silver nose, which is typically associated
with early SC Zuikos.  However, a year or two ago, we covered this topic
on-list, and the conclusion was that several fast wide-angle Zuikos, e.g.
the 24mm F2, 28mm F2 and 35mm F2, are often found in same configuration
as your lens: silver nose and "MC" markings.

All are undoubtedly MC, and, AFAIK, neither was ever released in a SC
version.  The reasons for the anomaly may have to do with time of design,
manufacturing priorities, or subcontractor induced assembly line delays
(as we all know, unlike other Japanese manufacturers "Mother Ship Olympus"
did not and does not make their own glass).

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA