Re: [OM] Photo quality printer (and scanner and more) (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo quality printer (and scanner and more) (OT)
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 14:45:49 -0500
Well, I'll weigh in on this one, as I spent the last few months on this
exact same 'quest'.  In the end, I settled on the Epson 1270 ($380 from
buy.com).  For a scanner, I went upscale to the Polaroid Sprintscan 4000.
Software-wise, the only thing I added was Vuescan (available from
www.hamrick.com) for a whopping $40.  Well, that's not fair, as I already
own Photoshop and Lviewpro.  For the money, Lviewpro is hard to beat (under
$100) and not nearly as intimidating as Photoshop.

I've never looked back.  I actually started with an entry level 2700dpi
scanner, the Acer Scanwit and for the money, it was excellent. If I was
content with 8 1/2 x 11 (i.e. the Epson 870), I would have been entirely
happy.  But when I decided to go larger format (the 1270 does 13x19), I
decided I needed the higher resolution.

The end result is that I have several 13x19 (and smaller) prints on my wall
that I would challenge anyone to easily tell from a 'real print'.  Mounted
unders glass I would say it is downright impossible.

I finally have realized my dream of a color darkroom, just through a
slightly different path than I had anticipated. And, no chemicals or
temperatures to worry about.

Anyone interested, feel free to write me off list with questions, as this is
rapidly going off-topic.

Thanks

Tom
tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Everyone,
I've been considering going to a "digital darkroom" for color work.  When I
got a new computer recently, I got one with enough memory, just in case.
Now my printer has died, and I'd like to get a really good photo quality
replacement.  I've read hype on Canon, Epson, and HP (can't remember the
model #'s).   If anyone has a strong opinion on which printer does the best
job, I'd appreciate hearing from you.  Since money is an issue, I guess I'm
looking for the best bang for the buck.  Once I take this step, I'll have a
scanner and the software to go.
Regards,
John Pendley