Re: [OM] Ebay practices

Subject: Re: [OM] Ebay practices
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:48:06 -0500
At 12:44 AM 5/31/2000 -0400, raggedy ann wrote:
>Hi,
>What accounts for your statement that "it is fair, safe and pleasant"... to
>transact with list members as opposed to others? Do you have a particular
reason
>why buying from a list member is safer than a similar transaction via another
>forum like eBay? It seems quite the oppose to the uninitiated. Ebay at least
>offers the semblance of some security. Thank you!!

List members become "known" to each other.  Their transaction history also
lives on in a more concrete and definite way than is represented by eBay
feedback.  For example, I bought a 300/4.5 from George Anderson.  I showed
it to Ken Norton, who described it back to the list as "George's former
300".  I have done favors in getting stuff for others and they have done
the same for me. For continuing list members this sort of thing forms a
connection which is deeper than eBay feedback. People I have met on this
list become like neighbors and you get a feel for their character.  Risking
negative feedback on list would be unthinkable.  I have greater peace of
mind dealing with list members.  Most of them not only take my personal
check but mail the item off before even receiving it.

The "fair" part is that when people offer on list, they are offering their
items to an informed group that knows a fair price.  If the price is too
high, sellers usually come down a little bit based on nibbles, inquiries,
etc.  I think the process is a little like figuring what your eBay reserve
will be.  You can probably determine your rock-bottom price and add a
little bit to it and still offer a good item at a good price to the list.
If you don't get what you want, you can always go to eBay.

I find it to be fair, safe, and pleasant, but that's just my experience,
and YMMV.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA