Re: [OM] (Fwd) Take Anywhere camera suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) Take Anywhere camera suggestions
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 15:58:27 +0100
"Welliver, H William" wrote:
>...At this point, I am considering getting a compact 35mm -
>either a point 'n shoot or a rangefinder...My budget is under
>$250 and I'm not opposed to used equipment...

I've long been a compact camera fan and only carry an OM on deliberate photo
occasions. Most of my camera fall into the pocketable, or at least,
under-the-jacket-on-a-strap, types, including:

Olympus 35RC - a touch bulky but gives excellent results in the 42mm lens
category;
Kodak Retina IIIc - folds up but is comparatively heavy. For the 50mm lens;
Olympus XA - I like this in theory but have rarely used it because I find
35mm lenses unsatisfactory somehow'
Minox 35GL - Much the same applies. This and the Retina are the only ones
with a d-o-f scale;
Ricoh GR1 - A recent acquisition - as small as many APS jobs. I like this a
lot and its 28mm lens and can hardly put it down;
Pentax Espio 928 - a but bulkier than the others but it does have an
excellent 28 - 90mm zoom lens and is surprisingly easy to hold still. Has
some (but not all) of the usual shortcomings of the modern compact AF zoom
camera but if I had to part with all but one of these, this is probably the
one I'd have to keep;
Lomo 135BC - An unusual Russian camera (not a plastic Lomo) with 40mm f2.8
lens. Haven't finished its first film yet.

There are details of some of these on my web site starting at 'General
Photography.'

John A Lind mentions the little Rollei 35s. I was attracted to one of these
in the '60s and had one on approval from the camera shop where I worked. It
took just one exquisitely sharp picture at a nearby park - and then the
shutter/film wind mechanism jammed solid. I returned it and haven't thought
of one since. I'm very easily dissuaded that way!

Siddiq mentions the Stylus WIDE with 28 -> zoom but these don't seem to be
imported into the UK.

Regards,
Keith Berry
(Birmingham, England)