Re: [OM] Zuiko 75-150/4 and its Aftermarket Competitors

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 75-150/4 and its Aftermarket Competitors
From: P2CON@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 17:39:44 EDT
Gary Schloss writes from the land of forgetfulness:
<< Angel Lobo wrote:
  >Gary,
 >Why is the Vivitar One touch version more convenient for Oly users ?

 Because it takes 55mm filters which are a standard filter size for
 Zuiko lenses.  52mm is not standard.

 >Can somebody explain some diferences (optical quality) Viv. 70-150 One
 >touch vs Two touch ?

 I believe the two versions are quite similar optically, even though
 they were made by different manufacturers.  AFAIK, the 2-touch version
 has close-focus (macro) capability, while the 1-touch version does not.
  Cheers,
  /Gary Schloss. >>

Guys and Gals, I will attempt to clear up Gary's mini-alzheimers attack
regarding these lenses. First, the filter size: Both versions of the Vivitar
70-150 have a 52mm filter thread. Second, the close-focus (macro) capability:
The 2-touch Vivitar has a close-focus range built into the rotating zoom
control at the 70mm end, and will give you a seven inch full-frame subject at
approximately 16-18 inches. The one-touch Vivitar, (probably made by Kiron),
gives a "macro" spot on the focusing ring, and is available at all focal
lengths in the range 70-150mm. At 150mm the "macro" spot gives you a six inch
full-frame subject at approximately 30-32 inches.

My personal preference of the two is the one-touch as it will give a slightly
larger image at it's closest focusing distance, and I prefer the push-pull
zoom with focusing on one ring.

Optical quality of either one is good enough for me as I rarely enlarge over
8x10, and I can not tell the difference. I also have a Kiron 70-150 one-touch
in a Pentax mount, and it is almost identical to the one-touch Vivitar, (also
52mm filter thread).

OK Gary, back to the gaming tables now. ;-)  ;-)

Regards, Paul Connet