Re: [OM] Case for OM-1n

Subject: Re: [OM] Case for OM-1n
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 03:41:36 +0000
Ed (and others looking for single-digit "never-ready" cases),
Be patient and keep looking.  If you are anywhere near a used camera dealer
that has some throughput of used Oly gear, "dumpster-dive" the used case
bin regularly.  I've found some very good camera straps this way too.  Scan
eBay and a half-dozen of the greater on-line used dealers (that list cases)
weekly.  A leather OM-1/2/3/4 case will show up about once every 4-8 weeks.
 Two the three described below were found from on-line dealers and stumbled
across the third in a used case bin.  When they do show up they're gone
_quickly_.

To add to the general info on the leather "single-digit" body cases, and
what they seem to fit well, these are the ones I found after patient searching:

(a)  Black "pebble-grain" semi-hard for OM-1/OM-2:
Attaches to the body with tripod screw (no lug straps) and has a clear
plastic insert for the base plate inside the case.  Nose fits an
OM-1[n]/2[n] sugly _without_ the shoe 1/2/3/4 attached.  Nose is very snug
on a 50/1.4 with lens cap and downright tight with a slim filter added.
Does not fit an OM-4 very well (prism and hot shoe) nor can you get the
nose over a 50/1.2 lens.  A very durable case with good finish.  Base is
hard but nose is semi-hard, however the leather is not thin.  Hans' site
has a photo of this (upper left):
  http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif/casegroup/semi-hard_cases.htm

(b)  Light brown or tan (saddle leather?) hard case for OM-1/OM-2:
Hardest of cases I've found with thick, stiff leather and likely the most
durable.  Does not show scuffs easily.  Attaches with lug straps.  Fits an
OM-1[n]/2[n] well, a bit snug with a shoe 1/2/3/4 attached.  Can be used on
an OM-3/4 but nose does not fit as well as (c) because of prism and hot
shoe.  Nose goes over a 50/1.4 better than (a) but still not over a 50/1.2
lens.  IMO this is a beautiful case and the best I've seen for any 35mm
SLR.  Hans' site also has a photo of this one:
  http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif/casegroup/hard_cases.htm

(c)  Dark brown (glove leather?) semi-hard case:
Stiffer than [a] but not as hard as [b].  Finest finish, scuffs easier and
thinner leather than the others, but otherwise durable (much more so than
the leatherette).  Attaches with lug straps.  Fits an OM-3/4 better than
[a] or [b] and is the only one with a nose big enough for the 50/1.2 lens
on an OM-4 body.  There is also a dark brown leatherette versions of this
case, the finish of which is _not_ very durable (more like an OM-10 case),
and the nose of which has a "flap" on the top back.  If you find a dark
brown one, examine it carefully to see if it is real leather.  The two can
be confused easily.  Hans' site doesn't show this case.

Notes:
There were a number of different noses made for various cases.  Experience
with fit of the prism and hot shoe, and larger 50/1.2 lens may vary.  You
will find the ubiquitous black leatherette OM-10 case everywhere and there
seems to be general confusion (intentional at times?) among sellers of them
that they are a "universal" OM body case.  They are not.  The base is
intended for the OM-10 and the squared-off ends are shaped for the OM-10
body.  The OM-10 and OM-1/2/3/4 bodies are close enough in overall
dimension that you can put (push, wedge??) a single-digit body into one of
these, but you do risk eventually brassing the apex on both ends of the
body.  Once you've put a single-digit body in a case designed for it, you
will notice a big difference in how well the base fits.

-- John
[who is still patiently searching for a 24mm f/2 lens hard case]