Re: [OM] OM 2 Flash Circuit

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 2 Flash Circuit
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 04:24:14 +0000
At 00:08 6/4/00 , Dave Dougherty wrote:
>I recently acquired a nice clean OM 2 with Shoe 2.  I put a T-20 on it and it
>will not fire the flash.  Is the circuit dead or is the shoe wrong or both?
>I believe I need shoe #3 for the OM 2.  Would the #2 keep the T-20 from
>firing?  Help!  Thanks.

You should get a shoe #3 for it, the shoe #2 having been designed for use
with the Auto 310 flash.  I have a shoe #2 and shoe #4 (which has a
different pin and screw configuration on the base but presume should be the
same as a #3 on top).  Two things noticed when comparing the top of a #2
with a #4.

(a)  The shoe #2 _may_ be shorting out the two "flash ready" and "flash
quench" contacts on the T-20 to ground.  The insulator around the two
contacts on the #2 (rectangular) is noticeably not as wide as that around
the three contacts on the #4 (circular).

(b)  The shoe #2 _may_ be shorting the two or more of the "flash ready",
"flash quench" and "trigger" contacts on the T-20 to each other.  The
center contact and smaller one in front of it on the #2 are noticeably
bigger than the center and side contacts on the #4.

-- John