Re: [OM] Photodo lens sharpness ratings

Subject: Re: [OM] Photodo lens sharpness ratings
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 23:44:33 +0200
Hi Tom,

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 11:49:18AM -0400, Tom Trottier wrote:
> Perhaps we Oly users shouldn't be so sanguine about the quality of
> our lenses...
>From   http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/alllensesmtf.shtml

Of course are other lens manufacturer also able to produce fine lenses ;-).
But don`t worry too much on statistics (=test results) you haven`t manipulated
yourshelf :-).
Sure as Testing-Guy, I also was  a bit dissappointed when I saw the
photodo-ranking.

(That was the reason why I ased them to add the missing MTF graphs of the
Zuikos,
 which were not published  tow month`s ago).
But there is still lot of information missing to check the expressiveness of
photodo results.
I still haven't exact figured out how they weight the results. And there´s no
information
about when the lenses were tested (which version?).

Because collecting and analysing MTF-Graphs is part of my Photo-hobbie, I´d
like to
mention some observations:
I have MTF-Graphs from 1980-1983 published by the swiss magazine PHOTOGRAPHIE,
and from the German magazine Color-Foto which published MTF-Graphs from
1995-1997.
Some MTF-Graphs can also found at www.leica.de and www.zeiss.de.
(Of course they all test at different f-stops :-(, so try to compare them )

> The site also has the mtf graphs for each of the lenses & ratings at
> different f/stops.
>
>       Graded Olympus lenses:
> Grade: 4.2 Olympus 90/2 macro (at least it's faster than the Tokina
> or Tamron)

I´m sure you can`t see a difference from 0.90 -> 0.92 at 10 l/mm. And compare
the
Graphs. The Zuiko offerers a very even center -> corner  Performance, what not
all
Competitors does. And photodo rate the center more importend.

> Grade: 3.9 Olympus 100/2
> Grade: 3.6 Olympus 35-80/2.8
I won`t worry about any of these results.

> Grade: 3 Olympus 21/2
I think this result is a great job!

> Grade: 2.6 Olympus 28/2
Hmm this lens was better at PHOTOGRAPHIE and at Color Photo-testing :-|.

> Grade: 2.6 Olympus 200/4
The PHOTOGRAPHIE results from 1980 are equivalent to the Photodo MTF`s.
The Zuiko 4/200 performed in the upper class (pos #5 with Nikon) of all 32
Competitors.

  > MTF Explanation: http://www.photodo.com/art/Unde7.shtml
>     "Graded at f/4 & f/8
>   5.0 is the max; 4.8 is highest to date
< We chose 0,88 for a grade of 4,8 to make
< sure that we will never hit the "roof" (>5).
>       Complete list:
> Grade: 4.8    AF      Canon EF 200/1.8L USM

Too sad. They never tested the Leica Apo-Summicron 2.0/180. Color Foto compared
this two lenses in 1995. The Cannon acived the best mark for optical
performance, but
was far outperformed by the Leica-lens. The Cannon achieved 18.3 Points in the
MTF-
valuation,while The Apo-Summicron colleced 25.5 of 30 Points.

> Grade: 4.7    AF      Contax G Planar 45/2.0
>
> Grade: 4.6    LeicaM Summicron-M 50/2.0

Funny Color Foto ranked this two lenses differently. But they count the center
corner different ;-).

Now stop worrying and use your old substandard Zuik`s to shoot nice photographs.
You will be much more happy for any sharp picture you get, because you know
that´s your merit, not your camera, ... Ahm... lenses ones ;-))).

Frieder Faig