Re: [OM] RFC: Should I bail ?

Subject: Re: [OM] RFC: Should I bail ?
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 12:00:36 EDT
In a message dated 06/06/2000 11:47:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> > The only likely digital SLR contender at the moment is the Nikon D1 as
>  > far as I can see.  The problem is that in order to finance this, I would
>  > have to sell my OM collection & the EOS, and hope that the Nikon would
> prove
>  > a worthwhile replacement for both.

I think the problem with buying something like a D1 as your only camera, is
that in 6-12 months you will be wishing you waited to buy the D2 (or whatever
the next version is). The changes are just happening too fast, and there are
too many limitations with the current crop (particularly in respect to the
sensor size). It's even worse than with the wonderbricks - there you're only
going through the buying cycle every 18-24 months or so.

If you really think the D1 will do what you need, wait for the D2 and you'll
be able to pick up a D1 for a song on the used market, and maybe keep at
least some of your film cameras to boot.

Paul Schings