Re: [OM] RFC: Should I bail ?

Subject: Re: [OM] RFC: Should I bail ?
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 18:49:24 +0100
Gareth Knight wrote:

>...a lot of my photography has been of
>the candid indoor evening variety - which calls for ease of focussing in
dim
>conditions and good flash support.  Whilst I persevered for a long time
with
>a OM2SP & Bounce grip 2, once the bounce grip circuit failed I had to buy
in
>a hurry and I bought an EOS 5 / 430EZ.  I am a great admirer of the OM
>design, but I have to say that it simply cannot approach a wonderbrick for
>ease of use in a dark pub after a few beers...

Seems like an expensive solution. In that situation I'd prefer to use a 35RC
with its 'flashmatic' system and separate manual flashgun rather than any
SLR unless there is a specific need for a zoom lens. The rangefinder means
you can focus directly on eyes and you know whether the flash has fired and
whether the eyes were open at the time. The aperture is coupled to the
focused distance and so the exposure won't be influenced by spurious
reflections into a sensor and you can select from a range of shutter speeds
to control how much ambient light is included. But then I'm thrifty by
nature and rarely look for the most expensive answer. :-)

Regards,
Keith Berry
(Birmingham, England)
k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx