RE: [OM] RFC: Should I bail ?

Subject: RE: [OM] RFC: Should I bail ?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 10:00:33 -0500
At 10:06 AM 6/7/2000 +0100, you wrote:
>Of John's list of suggested lenses, I have most of those, but I'm lacking
>the 85/2 - which I presume is more accessible to me price-wise than the
>legendary 90 macro.
>
>Thank you all again,
>
>Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

You should be able to get an 85/2 for 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of a used 90,
depending on condition.  Bear in mind that the 85 was in production a
fairly long time, so that there are SC and MC versions and mint ones and
banged up ones.

They are not really duplicative either.  You can make the 90 do in the same
kind of handheld situations where the 85 is more comfortable and "OM
natural", but it is not the same.  Having said that, the 90 is beautifully
balanced for a fairly heavy lens. Pressed to decide between them, I would
be very happy "getting along" with just the 90. :-)  It is certainly the
more versatile.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA