Re: [OM] OM differences

Subject: Re: [OM] OM differences
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 06:59:31 -0500
By now, this has probably been answered by 400 people, but I'll weigh in as
I have at least one of each.

Keep in mind, this is just personal opinion.

The OM-10 was the 'first generation' consumer body.  Very successful, but
somewhat flawed.  The manual adapter is an add-on, plugs into the front and
puts the manual settings in an odd place for an Olympus body.  From what I
understand, they are also prone to an 'oily magnet' problem (as my  10-FC
is) and the CLA cost outweighs the value of the camera.  Still, it's a nice
useful body when there are no problems.

The OM-G (also called the OM-20) is the second generation and what the OM-10
should have been. It has a proper shutterspeed dial around the lens mount
where every REAL photographer knows it should be.  I don't think it is prone
to the oily magnet problem either.  I own several (Ok, selling some), but
will keep two, one for each daughter to learn on. They're already enjoying
them.  Aperture preferred automatic, similar to the 2n, but if I remember,
it doesn't read off the film.  Plastic body, but amazingly tough, in many
ways I think tougher than the metal bodies.  They're standing up to use by a
7 year old and an 8 year old (although they're pretty careful).

The OM-2n is,well, an OM-2n.  Great camera.  Perfected OM-2.  Something to
behold.  A better camera in specs, but not necessarily in real use.

Ok, after rambling, my conclusion. As a 'first body', I'd go with the 2n.
As a second body, or backup body, I'd go with a G.

I bought both of the girls OM-G's complete with 50/1.8 lenses off ebay.
Paid $41 for the MORE expensive one, including the lens.  The lens alone is
worth $20-30 of that, so a body for $15.  Now, they normally go for more
than that (hopefully, since I have one on ebay right now--oops, guess I
can't say that), but if you're patient you can find one.  For less than the
price of a P&S, you can add a worthwhile body to your collection.

My 2 cents and overvalued at that.

Tom