Re: [OM] Zuiko lenses - a BEGINNER question

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko lenses - a BEGINNER question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 23:06:35 +0000
Don't discount the 85/2 or the 135/2.8 lenses.  You will find them easier
and for the cost of most of the lenses you listed, you could buy both
these.  They are fast, small and light.

The f/2.8 lenses are a stop slower, but remember f/2.8 is about as fast as
you get in MF 6x6 or 645, and those are the standard 75mm - 80mm lenses!
(Notable exception:  Mamiya's 80/1.9 for the M645.)  Furthermore,
ultra-fast lenses faster than f/2 for small format 35mm are really a
phenomenon of the past 40 years.  Before that f/2.8 was about as fast as it
got with a few f/2's.  Many photogs lived with f/3.5 standard lenses.
(Notable early exception:  Carl Zeiss' 50/1.5 Sonnar for Zeiss Ikon's
Contax circa mid-1930's.)

The 2X-A teleconverter is easier to find than a 1.4X-A and is matched to
the 135/2.8 Zuiko (along with a number of others) which would get you a
270/5.6 which isn't too bad in a pinch.  It is "softer" than the 300/4.5
prime, but smaller and lighter.

For a brighter focusing screen, Oly makes the "2-13" screen.  It is
considerably brighter than the 1-13 "stock" screen that comes with the
camera body.  Cost is about $40-45 new.  The "2-13" has the same horizontal
split image encircled by a micro-prism ring but with a super-fine matte
covering the rest.  I put one of these into my OM-4 and it made a huge
difference in viewfinder brightness.  If you have something like the 50/1.2
or 55/1.2 you will almost be blinded in bright sunlight by it.

-- John