Re: copyright issues Re: [OM] hans' oly/zuiko tshirt on esif

Subject: Re: copyright issues Re: [OM] hans' oly/zuiko tshirt on esif
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 09:10:34 EDT
>Tom,
>IMHO, Olympus has no basis or standing (legalese) to sue you.
Moreover, on what
>basis could they assert damages? It seems to me that your site helps
Olympus.
>Honestly, I do not think you can get in any trouble over
zuikoholic.com and
>think it to be the least of your worries, especially now.

Let me give you an example of what I'm talking about.

Awhile back I was into Porsches. I was restoring a 914, so I subscribed
to an email list. The domain name of the list was "porschefans." There
was a web site and other neat things, but it was strictly non-
commercial. In fact, the owner of the name and the list spent a fairly
large amount of cash getting it and running it. Porsche threatened to
sue him and he gave up.

If the Olympus sales information book is copyrighted, then Oly can sue
you and win simply because the use of the book is not authorized.
Putting a disclaimer on the page is of no use either. If the copyright
has expired or is no longer valid due to lack of enforcement, then the
book is in the public domain and anyone can use it.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright