Re: [OM] fill-in-newbie

Subject: Re: [OM] fill-in-newbie
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 20:44:31 +1000
Set the camera to 1/60. Set the aperture for correct exposure you want.
Lets say the flash is guide number 32, and the aperture required is f8. If
the subject were 4m away, the exposuure would be correct for the flash. But
you want fill in, not full power. So set the flash to 1/2 or 1/4 power,
depending upon the amount of fill you want.

If the flash does not have these settings, one finger in front of the flash
is one stop reduction, 2 fingers is two stops, etc.

Or if the flash has non TTL auto, you can use this. Again, lets say the
aperture is f8 at 4 meters. Now if you want less exposure, set the aperture
setting to f4 or f2 (if the flash has them). The sensor becomes more
sensitive at these settings, as it must "see" further. So close up, it turns
off quicker, giving less exposure.

TTL flash is generally useless for fill in, IMHO

Foxy