Re: [OM] Zuiko 28mm/f2.0: Shades & Coatings

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 28mm/f2.0: Shades & Coatings
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 23:59:56 +0000
At 23:00 6/10/00 , Robert wrote:

>There are some design oddities. The 21/3.5 has a 92° angle of view, but still
>takes 49 mm filters. The 24/2.8 and the 24/2 have an 84° angle of view, but
>the former takes 49 mm and the latter takes 55 mm filters. The 28/2 and the
>28/3.5 have a 75° angle of view and both take 49 mm filters. The 35/2 and the
>35/2.8 have the same 63° angle of view, but the former takes 55 mm and the
>latter takes 49 mm filters. Go figure. It has to be a simple matter of lens
>design.
[snip]

I've noted the general correlation between lens speed and filter size also
with the the anomalous 28mm f/2 you mention.  There is another, lesser
anomaly among the standards.  The newer 50/1.2 has a 49mm ring while the
older 55/1.2 has a 55mm ring.  My guess is there is a partial secondary
correlation with when the faster lenses were designed.  I believe the 24/2
and 35/2 have been around longer than the 28/2 has.

Of related interest I dredged out a lens brochure circa 1980 that came with
the OM-10 I bought:

Brochure C65E-380D:
(can anyone decode this for date of printing?)
(see notes about the "MC" designation at the end)
----------------------------------
Type            Lens            MC? *
----------------------------------
Fisheye   8mm f/2.8
                 16mm f/3.5
----------------------------------
Super Wide       18mm f/3.5      Y
Angle            21mm f/2        Y
                 21mm f/3.5
                 24mm f/2        Y
                 24mm f/2.8
----------------------------------
Wide Angle       28mm f/2        Y
                 28mm f/3.5
                 35mm f/2        Y
                 35mm f/2.8
                 35mm f/2.8 Shift
----------------------------------
Standard        55mm f/1.2
                50mm f/1.4       Y
                50mm f/1.8
                50mm f/3.5 Macro Y
----------------------------------
Zoom            35- 70mm f/3.6   Y
                75-150mm f/4
                85-250mm f/5     Y
----------------------------------
Telephoto         85mm f/2       Y
                 100mm f/2.8
                 135mm f/2.8     Y
                 135mm f/3.5
                 180mm f/2.8     Y
                 200mm f/4       Y
                 200mm f/5
----------------------------------
Super            300mm f/4.5
Telephoto        400mm f/6.3     Y
                 600mm f/6.5     Y
                1000mm f/11      Y
----------------------------------
Bellows   20mm f/3.5     Y
Macro             38mm f/3.5     Y
                  80mm f/4       Y
----------------------------------
* Most of the faster lenses listed above eventually became MC lenses.  If
your lens is an "MC" and it doesn't show a "Y" in the table, it's because
it wasn't an "MC" in 1980 and you have a later version of the lens.  If
your lens isn't an "MC" but the table shows a "Y" for it, then you have an
earlier version of the lens.

Notably missing in 1980 leading me to conclude they are newer designs:
 24mm f/3.5 Shift
 28mm f/2.8
 28-48 f/4 Zoom
 35-70 f/4, f/3.5~4.5, and f/3.5~4.8 Zooms
 35-80 f/2.8
 35-105 f/3.5~4.5 Zoom
 All zooms with a long end above 150mm
 40mm f/2
 50mm f/1.2
 50mm f/2 Macro
 90mm f/2 Macro
 100mm f/2
 135mm f/4.5 Bellows Macro
 All of the faster Bellows Macro lenses
 All the super-speed, super telephoto lenses

No mention is made of the 2X-A or 1.4X-A Teleconverters.
Extension tubes may have existed then but are not in the brochure.

-- John