Re: [OM] Zuiko 28mm/f2.0: Shades & Coatings

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 28mm/f2.0: Shades & Coatings
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:39:42 +0200
Hi,
I guess that Olympus tried to use 49-mm Filters wherever possible. However
I don`t know why it was possible at the 2/28 while not with the 2/35.
Sure The reason is that the 2/35 has a large front element.  - But Why ?? -
Maybe
because the 2/28 contians 2 elements insted of 1 large in the 2/35 for the same
Job?

But this large front-Element makes the 2/35 my favorite choice when I`d have to
select a
 lens to send a OM-Camera to a best looking contest :-).

Altough the 2/28 performs very good in all test I know -execpt to photodo`s
test-  and the
2/35 seem`s to be a tad less sharp this doesn`t mean that less glas is better.
The 2/28 contians
more optical elements and some of them are floating. This indicates a much
higher amount
of optical effort to correct aberrations, which correspondent to the
significant higher price of the
fast 28-Zuik.

About the test comparisons: I was conviced that the 2/28 is more ecellent lens
than the 2/35
in rescpect to performance and the wider angel of field, especially compared to
their opponents
from other manufacturers. But  some day I was offered a very nice 3/35 to buy.
I looked at all MTF-curfes again argued 2 days with myshelf and then concluded:

Sure the 2/28 might  be more brilliant wide open (but insignificant) while the
2/35 seems to show better resolution when stopped down (although
insignificant), and while the 2/28 is better in the center (but insignificant)
the 2/35 rather improves over the field, except of the corner (alttough
insignificant),....

After all I decided to buy the 2/35 out of the simple reason that it fits my
line, while a 2/28 wont. :-(......
So that´s what testing is for...
And I feel quite happy with them. And last vaccation I could shoot some nice
shot`s which, required
the fast speed. So I like my 2/35 even more.

Frieder Faig