Re: [OM] Greetings and Salutations

Subject: Re: [OM] Greetings and Salutations
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:02:57 -0500
Lex wrote a great intro.  Welcome to the Alamo.

The 100/2.8 really is a darling of a lens.  The size and weight of the lens
is incredible and the shots are purely stunning.  Bokah is beautiful with
this lens and there is a warmth that just cannot be matched when using it
for portraiture.  This is my prized lens and even though it is an older SC
model, I doubt that the newer versions are much better.

The macro screw-on lens from the IS series is very good quality.  I use
mine often and I have a magazine cover taken with it.

I would look seriously at a OM-2 camera for the OTF auto metering
capability.  This takes macro into a whole new realm of ease-of-use.
Especially when using flash!!!!!

Oh, as far as macro lenses are concerned, you will find that the Zuiko line
of F2 macro lenses are extremely good, but you will achieve quality,
professional results with a 100/2.8 and the screw on IS macro lens or using
extension tubes.  I have both and will use the macro lens if I'm travelling
really light (fits in my shirt pocket) or the extension tubes if I've got
the time to mess around with the tripod in well lit areas without too much
breaze.  The IS macro lens doesn't affect exposure (no light loss due to
extension) so you will gain a stop at normal magnifications as compared to
extending the lens.

The IS-3 (I've also owned an IS-1 until somebody else wanted it more), is a
really nice all-in-one outfit with a killer 35-180 zoom.  I use my
equipment semi-professionally and the IS-3 has really fast autofocus and
accurate flash exposure becaue it gets the distance from the focus sensors.
 I just wish it went wider (24mm) and longer (600mm)...  One can dream, I
guess.

Another excellent lens I have in my stable is the Tokina AT-X 35-70/2.8
zoom.  It is obviously heavy being a 2.8, but it is exceptionally sharp,
has very low distortion and amazing enough is flatfielded at 1:1 (when used
with extension tubes).  Bokah is more like the Nikkors, but still quite
decent.  It has better contrast than my Zuikos when used for closeups and
what's really cool is that with 24mm of extension this lens will go from
1:1 on out.  Changing magnification or working distance is just a matter of
adjusting the zoom control.

Ken Norton