Re: [OM] beginner lens question

Subject: Re: [OM] beginner lens question
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:04:55 PDT
Zuiko (pronounced roughly "ZWEE-koh") lenses are made by Olympus...<

My favorite was coined by the wag who said it's pronounced "oh-RIM-pus".  ;>

...Olympus zealots are blessed with lenses which are middle-of-the-road in terms of prices for new lenses. Compare similar focal lengths and maximum apertures in Olympus to those of Canon or Nikon, etc. If anything, many of the Oly lenses look to my jaundiced eye like a bargain.<

Dang right. That's why I've added OM as a second system (my main gear has been Canon FD for years). I just believe it's a good idea to have a second or third working body from another manufacturer - Minolta, Nikon, whatever - to take advantage of the day you stumble across that once in a lifetime bargain, the $1,000 lens in excellent shape selling for $35 at a pawn shop.

I just decided if I was going to get serious about macro stuff I'd go with Olympus.

Also, Olympus doesn't appear to have compromised construction quality over the years, as Canon sometimes did with the "new" pushbutton FD mount lenses. When I hear of premium L-series barrels separating during normal usage, however seldom, it makes me cringe.

Generally, prices of used Zuikos compare very favorably with those of used FD lenses.

Lex